Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Last R & R

Last week I told the kids I had to go to the airport to pick up a temporary duty officer arriving for the World Cup. It wasn't a total lie. Waking up to find their Dad in the kitchen :

Olivia had missed two weeks of school due to illness, so I made them all go, except Jack, who basically just plays xBox and sleeps now that he's done with high school. We've spent the last few days sitting by the pool and just generally hanging out. Boring, normal stuff that is better than Christmas after being apart for so long.

 Now, don't judge me, but have you guys played Cards Against Humanity? I win the Worst Parent Award for letting my kids play this, but it is horrible/awesome.

Selfie from bed.



My bruises are mostly better, but I will probably have some little scars on my legs. I forgot to cancel my massage lady last week and she just kept turning my arms and legs over looking for a place to massage and clucking her tongue. It was a terrible waste of money.

The mundane becomes flippin' sweet when we are all home together. We still don't have an onward assignment, but the State Department has beaten me down so much that I don't even care anymore. This week my youngest babies will turn 11 and my oldest baby will graduate high school. The day after graduation is prom, and the whole family gets to go. This is a South America thing. Pretty cool, no?

And you guys, can I just say how smugly happy I was to go to work today and leave Mitch home in charge of a sick kid, two loads of laundry, and a dirty kitchen?

4 comments:

alex said...

What an awesome surprise for your kiddos! Kudos to you for keeping the secret. I doubt I'd be able to!

Nomads By Nature said...

So glad you are getting a well deserved break! Graduation is coming up quickly too I imagine, exciting times!

Heather Dray said...

I catch up on blogs in batches. Just read the past couple months of yours! WOW! And so glad your *mostly* ok from your accident! More coffee more coffee more coffee! :-) Speeding tickets. Go you. Only go slower? XO

Heather Dray said...

My English fails me. "So glad YOU'RE *mostly ok." ;-)