Friday, June 24, 2011

If you need me for anything, I'll be on my break.

My last blog post from Virginia. Woot! Living here has taught me that I am a Pacific Northwestern kind of girl, and that's all I'm going to say about that (but, good job on the public schools, VA-you win that one!).  I would love to say that my bags (all 18 of them) are packed and by the front door, but this isn't some fairy tale in which our heroine isn't a procrastinator. Speaking of procrastinating, as I was on my knees finally cleaning out the freezer a few mornings ago, Olivia wandered in, looking every bit like the Native American name Mitch dubbed her: Raisedbywolves. It was the first day of summer break.

"What's for breakfast? Where's Daddy?"

"Daddy is at work already, can you get yourself some cereal?"

She glares at me. "Do you think it's fair that Daddy has to go to work when you're on summer vacation?"

Later, I asked her and Grace what exactly they thought I did all day. After a long pause, in which I could see they were giving it some serious thought:

"You take breaks."

"You shop for shoes!"

"You go on Facebook."

At this point, Mitch (who was home from slaving away at his job working for the man) was doubled over with laughter.

"Really girls? You think all I do all day is shop for shoes, go on Facebook, and take breaks?"

*crickets*

"Well, I did see you put some stickers on stuff," concedes Raisedbywolves.

In addition to taking breaks and shopping for shoes this week, I attended the two-day Security Overseas Seminar at FSI, where I was disappointed to learn that not everyone loves me and wishes me well. The kids also attended, but their seminar was only one day, and was geared toward their age groups. I didn't get a lot of information from them about what they learned, other than that they got to try Kool-Aid for the first time.

In less than two days, five of us will be on a plane bound for the good Washington while Mitch stays behind to deal with the packout and get the dog to the kennel. He will meet up with us in Spokane for the farewell tour. On that note, it's time for my break, so I'll see you on the flipside. Peace out!

8 comments:

Alix Bryant said...

Good luck Kate!! Have a great summer at HOME!

Heather Dray said...

You have been featured on this week's State Department Blog Round-Up! Please email me if you disagree with the content or would like to have the link removed. Thank you for your hard work! Heather @ http://thewanderingdrays.blogspot.com/2011/06/week-ending-62411-fs-rodeoround.html

(P.S. All I do is FB and shoe shop, too. What a grand life we lead!)

Heather said...

Um, what is wrong with buying shoes and going to Facebook? I have seen my husband's office "at work." I isn't that much different. Viva la shoe-buying!

Daniela Swider said...

Best of luck!!!

eliseandpaul said...

There are many job openings in this line of work here in Brasilia, you should have no trouble with your resume ;) Enjoy your time at home (my home, too!) Looking forward to your arrival...

Jennifer said...

Best wishes for an easy (if that's possible) transition. Take care! xo

Jill said...

Hope you're having a great time with your family! Thinking of you!!!

Bfiles said...

omg you're gone already! have a great time in WA!