Monday, January 24, 2011

List

We got our post list last week.  In the Foreign Service, when you first get started, your first two posts are directed by state, after which, most people bid on where they want to go.  This won't be the case with us, because we can only go where there are embassy projects being built, although we will get to have a say in which of those projects we want (I hope?).  Anyway, the list is really, really good.  We spent the weekend researching the posts on the list.  When I first saw the list, I put down my top five right off the bat.  However, after spending the weekend in my new bed AND wearing yoga pants (yes, I did a couple of downward dogs to earn the right) while I researched the posts on my laptop, my list completely changed.  I can't tell you what countries were on the list, but we did go to an Irish pub and then out for Moroccan food for date night on Saturday.  Our top criteria were safety and schools, and that knocked a few posts off the list, but for the most part I'd be happy with any of the posts.  I was surprised at how one of the posts I didn't even consider when I first saw it made it up to number two after I researched the hell out of it.  I think we'll know in the next month or so. 

In other news, Olivia, while munching on her nitrate-free salami, declared "I HATE the idea of hurting animals.  But they sure taste delicious."

5 comments:

Alix Bryant said...

Can't wait to hear where you'll be going! When do you find out? Are you in the winter bid cycle then? Sorry for all the questions. Maybe I'll get to see you before you leave DC?

Kate said...

Alix, they do things a little differently in the Overseas Building Operations dept. We have a list of projects through 2012, so when we are assigned which project he'll be working on, we'll go when the start date for that particular project is. Which means we could go as early as March '11 or as late as fall of 2012. I'm sure we'll see each other, especially because I have a box for you!

Anonymous said...

Tangiers vs Dublin...go via the Marrakech Express. Take the ferry to Spain across the Straits of Gibraltar. Travel to the Atlas Mountains and Casablanca. I have a djelaba that I once wore there...you can borrow it.
Gary

Anonymous said...

Yea Olivia! Tell her that PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals... Claire

Bfiles said...

how exciting!! I can't wait to hear where you'll be heading next. Those are 2 great options.