Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful

Today  I was volunteering at the elementary school, where  they were having a huge Thanksgiving feast for kids to share with their families.  Which meant I got to eat three times, since my kids eat at different times.  I also got to dump perfectly formed balls of instant mashed potatoes on several hundred peoples' trays.  At one point I was between serving and eating shifts, so I went to chat with some of the moms.  They were standing by a huge paper turkey on the wall.  On each turkey feather, students had written what they were thankful for, such as, "I am thankful for pop tarts".  "I am thankful for video games."   I am thankful for my dog."  If I had written one it might have said something like, "I am thankful for happy hour and Spanx".  My point is that it was cute little specific things the kids had put down.  The moms zeroed in on one that had a LOT of tiny writing on it.  It said, "I am thankful that when I get home from school, my mom is there.  She asks me questions about my day, and always asks me what was the best and worst thing that happened that day.  She stops what she is doing and sits with me.  Then, she makes a delicious dinner for the whole family, and makes everyone say what they are thankful for before they can eat.  Every night she does this.  I love my mom."  How do I remember what was written word for word on that brown-construction-paper feather?  Because I stole it, and I'm holding it in my hand.  It was written by my 10 year-old.


8 comments:

Becky said...

Talk about making everything worth it. That is so awesome.

Alix Bryant said...

Teared up just reading about it. You have such sweet kids and you're an AWESOME mom!

Kate said...

Full disclosure, this is the same kid that mentioned he wouldn't mind if I stopped coming on his field trips and/or stopped making eye contact with him at school, but I'll take what I can get.

Beth Dube said...

Kate, that just means that he's a GENUINE awesome kid and not some smarmy Eddie Haskell type. You do have awesome kids, and you are an awesome mom! And the whole fam damily is very much missed in the Pacific NW. Have an fabulous Thanksgiving you guys!

Donna said...

You so need to get that feather framed!

Bfiles said...

AW. As we say in the B household, 'doesn't get much better than that.'

Jen said...

So awesome!

Sara said...

I (finally) put up the Roundup - and you're on it! Check it out here:

http://wifemommywoman.blogspot.com/2010/11/state-department-blog-roundup.html